Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you that I am definitely not a winter person. The happiest I am in this cold weather is binge watching a new series, curled up in a fluffy blanket, heater on and something warm and sweet to eat.
If you’re anything like me or just need a quick sweet fix this recipe is definitely something you need to try. You can even let the kids help and they will be super impressed with how amazing you are at whipping up a dessert in under 5 minutes! As the saying goes …. not all heroes wear capes
This mug cake is deliciously gooey and super easy to make. Plus there’s no stack of bowls and whisks to clean so its a win-win for me.
I’ve included the basic recipe below but my ultimate favourite is to substitute the cocoa for Milo. Try it, you’ll definitely thank me later!
What you’ll need to make this mug cake
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar (white or brown)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (any vegetable oil will do)
- 1/4 cup luke warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- custard, ice-cream or cream for next level delicousness
How to make this mug cake
- Place all dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, salt) in a microwave safe mug and mix through with a fork
- Add wet ingredients (oil, water, vanilla) and stir through until the mixture is smooth. Make sure to get all the flour mixed in from the bottom of the mug
- Microwave on high for 1 minute 40 seconds. You may need a few more seconds depending on your microwave but I found this is the perfect time to leave you with a sticky, gooey chocolate pudding
- Let sit for a minute or so (if you can manage) and add some custard, cream or ice-cream.
This cake is delicious on it’s own and doesn’t even need the custard or any additions. If it’s too “cakey” for you feel free to omit the baking powder
For a delicious Milo flavoured cake in a mug substitute the cocoa with 2 tablespoons Milo
For an even more decadent version push a chocolate ball (lindt or similar) to the centre before placing in the microwave 😉